In 1891 patronage of the park was so great and traffic was so heavy that it was decided to build a steel suspension bridge from Chicken Point to the new Music Concourse and Children's Playground. (across what is now Lawn Bowling Drive at the tennis courts). Pedestrians were able to go from Conservatory Valley, under Main Drive (JFK) via the tunnel and over the bridge without risking their lives crossing with the horses, coaches, and bicycles. The bridge was built by John A Roebling Sons Company, builders of the Brooklin Bridge, for $10,435. Trying to "capture the shadings of nature" the bridge was painted two shades of green with decorative squares of carmine and red stripes here and there. All the bolts were painted chrome yellow. The bridge only survived a few years and was replaced with the current tunnel before 1900.