In 1870, when Golden Gate Park was established, the area was sand dunes. This area below the Cliff House hosted an infamous road house reach by a toll road which ran down what is Geary Blvd. as the dunes were generally impassible. In 1883, the Park and Ocean Railroad opened, coming down what is Lincoln Way and crossing the western end of the Park (the roadbed still exists behind the Beach Chalet). Within 9 days, a shanty town of squatters called Mooney Town sprang up, comprised of coffee houses, bars, and brothels to serve the patrons of the new line. In the late 1890's portions of the Mid-Winter's Fair held in the current Bandshell Concourse were hauled out to the beach and became Playland at the Beach on this same spot.