But private interest continued for a race track for blooded horses in the park and the Commission was finally forced to began construction on Speed Road with the promise of private funding. Though work stretched on until about 1900, the road was never fully funded, and in 1906, John McLaren constructed the Park Stadium, now called the Polo Field, and returned the rest of the course to park, now called Speedway Meadow.

CLICK TO NEXT PAGE